A very successful 3rd edition of this start of the year regatta took place from 29 Jan to 3 Feb 2015. As anyone knows, it is easier to start something than to maintain it, so it is great to see that the passion and commitment of the GSW Board, volunteers and sponsors are taking this event to a higher level each year.
In 2015 more boats participated than previously (39 boats registered from 11 different countries), more classes raced (J24 One Design Class was added to Racing , Racer Cruiser 1 & 2, Cruiser & Classic), more racing options were offered (spinnaker option is now available to Racer Cruiser 1 & 2), courses were further customized to accommodate differing needs, particularly those of the Classics and J24’s, separate start and finish boats increased efficiency and after race entertainment included the first ever Grenada Sailing Week Music Fest on the Saturday night, with 4 top Grenadian bands performing.
The location of this event in one of the Caribbean’s cleanest, safest and friendliest islands, where racers and cruisers are made to feel extremely welcome by all, including those running the country, is one of its best selling points. Add to that the ever growing range and depth of marine and tourism services available, and it is easy to find a reason why many boats extend their stay and return annually. For keen racers, smooth water on the west coast and bigger seas on the south coast make a challenging mix of sailing conditions.
The last week in Jan/first week in Feb is the GSW’s established yearly slot, making it a great way to get your crew up to scratch for the rest of the Caribbean racing season, so make sure you mark your calendar for next year’s edition from 28 Jan to 2 Feb 2016 .
- Racing Class: 1st Category 5 – Richard Syzjan, 2nd Whistler – Peter Lewis, 3rd Dingo – Mark Chapman
- Racer Cruiser 1: 1st Rapajam – Ralph Johnson, 2nd Piccolo – Andrew Yates, 3rd Boxxer – Scott Watson
- Racer Cruiser 2: 1st Apero – Jason Fletcher (Also Best Performing Yacht), 2nd Julie Rule, 3rd Rasmus – Dieter Huppenkothen
- J24 Class: 1st Island Water World Die Hard – Robbie Yearwood, 2nd Ambushe – Stephen Bushe, 3rd Attitude – Fredric Sweeney
- Classic: 1st Coral of Cowes – Richard Oswald, 2nd The Blue Peter- Matthew Barker, 3rd Galatea – Jud Tinius