The first edition of the Sports Fishing Tournament took place between the 19th and 22nd October, organized by the Guadeloupe Fishing Club (President Jean-Marie Rosemond) and Atmosphere. This competition was supported by the Marina and the Region, as part of the events surrounding the Route du Rhum.
In contrast to other competitions, an events village was set up with a mini Boat Show supported by Guadeloupean builders. Locally, Guadeloupe represents a large contingent among Caribbean motor boat producers. Recently created, the Guadeloupe Fishing Club has a philosophy directed towards general fishing, in order to allow those without a budget to participate in a more democratic sport. Thanks to sponsors, the Club can reallocate funds in order to involve more people in the joy of fishing. The association with Atmosphere for the shore-based entertainment allowed a more festive dimension to the competition, although it is true that more things happen out on the water.
11 boats took part, of which one was from Martinique and one from St Martin. Little luck on the first day, but competitors had more strikes on Friday.
The 2007 edition will take place from the 31 October to the 3 November.
Final ranking for the Guadeloupe Fishing Club:
- Follow Me: François ANTON, 937 points. (Saint Martin)
- Ex æquo, 600 points: El Gordo : Karl PETRELUZZI – Hooters : Robert LIGNIERES
- Black Pearl: Max CHALEAUNO, 300 points. (Martinique)
- Impex: Pascal SOUDHAN, 300 points.
- Ti Mamzell: Winston TURNEY, 300 points.
- Moana: Jean-Marie ROSEMOND, 300 points.
- Orca: Francis LIGNIERES, 300 points.
- Ballistic: david MAUREAUX, 291 points.
- Dream Catcher: Eric BOCHET, 200 points.
- 10.Don Juan: Saada, 0 point.
Ranking according to fish caught:
1- Follow Me: François ANTON, biggest sailfish (64.600 lbs), tazar (49.800 lbs), Blue Marlin (337 lbs).
2- Black Pearl: Max CHALEAUNO, biggest Tuna (116 lbs).
3- Don Juan: Saada, biggest Spearfish (35.9 lbs).