The 2008 Cape Air C.O.R.T. (Caribbean Ocean Racing Triangle) Series, which kicked-off with the St. Croix International Regatta in February and included the Culebra Heineken International Regatta in March, concluded with the BVI Spring Regatta & Sailing Festival April 4 to 6 out of Nanny Cay Marina, Tortola, BVI.
In the Spinnaker Racing 1, St. Croix’s Stanton brothers won aboard their Melges 24, Devil 3.
St. Thomas’ Chris Thompson drove his J/27, J-Walker to the top of Spinnaker Racing 2, while Puerto Rico’s Lazy Dog, a Beneteau First 40.7 driven by Sergio Sagramosa, took Racer Cruiser.
Lastly, Puerto Rico’s Fraito Lugo’s Orion won the IC-24s, the USA’s Steve Schmidt’s Santa Cruz 70, Hotel California Too, took Jib & Main, and St. Croix’s Chris Schreiber’s Hobie 16 AutoWorld Express led Beach Cats.
“Cape Air is pleased to be the title sponsor of the 2008 Cape Air C.O.R.T. Series. We strive to be as quick and efficient in the air as sailors are on the water,” says Kim Corkran, Cape Air’s community relation’s manager. “We love being involved with events such as these with our Caribbean island destinations, the U.S. Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.”
First place winners received two round-trip tickets to anywhere in the Caribbean compliments of Cape Air. West Marine sponsored VHF Hand-Held Radios for first place finishers, PFD’s for second place and retractable beam lights for third.
Corkran adds, “We look forward to next year’s C.O.R.T., and until then, sail fast!” Seventeen boats competed in the 2008 Cape Air C.O.R.T. Series. www.sailcort.com
Submitted by Cape Air C.O.R.T. Series
2008 CAPE AIR C.O.R.T. SERIES – RESULTS
SPINNAKER RACING 1
1. Devil 3, Melges 24, Chris Stanton, St. Croix, USVI (4)
2. Silver, Melges 24, Morgan Dale, St. Croix, USVI (8)
SPINNAKER RACING 2
1. J-Walker, J/27, Chris Thompson, St. Thomas, USVI (6)
2. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, Kirby 25, St. Thomas, USVI (7)
3. Magnificent 7, J/27, Paul Davis, St. Thomas, USVI (12)
1. Lazy Dog, Beneteau First 40.7, Sergio Sagramosa, Puerto Rico (7)
2. Pipedream, Sirena 38, Peter Haycraft, BVI (8)
3. Kick Em Jenny, Ian Hope-Ross, St. Maarten (13)
1. Orion, Fraito Lugo, Puerto Rico (3)
2. B-Mobile, Fred Ruebeck, BVI (10)
3. Brand New Second Hand, Chris Curreri, St. Thomas, USVI (12)
JIB & MAIN
1. Hotel California Too, Santa Cruz 70, Steve Schmidt, USA
2. Mary-Ellen, Jeanneau 54, Howard Silverman, St. Croix, USVI
1. AutoWorld Express, Hobie 16, Chris Schreiber, St. Croix
Report submitted by Cape Air C.O.R.T.