Black flag starts and razor sharp finishes characterized the keen competition at the IC24 International Regatta, sailed out of the Royal BVI Yacht Club, August 21 and 22.
After ten races in ten to 20-plus knots of breeze, St. Thomas’ Old & Gray with Chris Rosenberg at the helm emerged victorious.
“The heavy air on Saturday was more a test of grinding and figuring how to go fast,” Rosenberg explained. “Sunday was all out war with John [Holmberg]. It was tactically tough to the point that Chris Curreri inched up and almost won.”
Going into the second day of competition, Rosenberg led by three points over fellow St. Thomas sailor John Holmberg aboard Stinger. St. Thomas’ Chris Curreri, at the helm of his Brand New Secondhand, trailed Rosenberg in third by 11 points. Curreri, who sailed a command performance the first day with no less than a second place finish, was ultimately disqualified from a race by
inappropriately sailing through the start-finish line. This action heaped points to his score and pushed him down to third.
Eleven teams representing the BVI, USVI and St. Maarten competed in this regatta, which director Richard Wooldridge says will now be an annual event.
The IC or Inter-Club 24 – a competitive, cost-effective design innovated by Rosenberg and St. Thomas boat-builder Morgan Avery that uses a J/24 hull and fits it with a new Melges 24-style deck mold that is wider, has no traveler and is capable of carrying five sailors – is now being built in Tortola. Seven hulls have successfully been converted thus far, with three more in the yard at various stages of conversion.
The IC-24s will also be used for teaching junior sailors in the KATS program and for competitive regattas sailed by local owners and crews.
1. Old & Gray, Chris Rosenberg, St. Thomas (27)
2. Brand New Secondhand, Chris Curreri, St. Thomas(28)
3. Stinger, John Holmberg, St. Thomas (31)
4. Mostly Harmless, Robby Hirst, Tortola (34)
5. Conch-Querer, Andrew Waters, Tortola (58)
6. Crowley, Richard Wooldridge, Tortola (70)
7. Black Pearl, Michael Masters, Tortola (71)
8. Tingum, Garry Turpin, Tortola (77)
9. Fiona, Simon Manley, St. Maarten (80)
10. Latitude 18, Chris Haycraft, Tortola (90)
11. CCT KATS, Richard Bibby, Tortola (98)