Mascalzone LatinoÂ with Francesco Bruni and Paolo Masserdotti has won the first event of the four part 2011 Melges 32 Audi Sailing Series, hosted by the Circolo Canottieri Napoli. John Kilroy’sÂ Samba Pa Ti,Â leads the overall series.
The fleet of twenty-two Melges 32s enjoyed yet another busy day dominated by strong winds from the northeast. A big 18-20 knots greeted the fleet for the first race, and for the final two, diminished to a solid 12-15 knots.
“To see this fleet on the water is always a unique spectacle and a great representation of high performance, competitive sailing,” said Carlo Alberini, president of the European Melges 32 Fleet. “The technical level of the European fleet is really quite strong as there are also some very strong American teams as well. Naples has provided us a wonderful event. Special thanks to all the organizers, and especially the club as the last three days have been wonderful.”
Mascalzone LatinoÂ was blessed with consistency on Saturday, and it was certainly the key to their success on the final day of competition.
“Today was a big day for us,” said trimmer, Andrea Ballico. “Two bullets and a fourth, obviously proved to us that we can play to win, but there is still much to be improved upon. The boat handling was great, despite today’s difficult conditions. Paolo admirably replaced Vincenzo, who will be back with us for the next event. He is the heart and soul of this team and we dedicate this victory to him.”
Sunday’s races provided second place finisher and series leader, John Kilroy, with tactician Nathan Wilmot, onSamba Pa TiÂ a 3-2-5 score line. In third overall is Luca Lalli and Lorenzo Bressani on tactics sailingÂ B-Lin Sailing.
Peter Rogers’Â HighlifeÂ made huge strides on the last day of competition to finish in fourth, while Mauro Mocchegianni’sÂ Rush DilettaÂ rounded out the top five.
Be sure to check out the 2011 Audi Sailing Series YouTube Channel as interviews are online.
The next appointment of the series for the Melges 32 is
TOP TEN RESULTS
- Paolo Masserdoti/Francesco Bruni,Â Mascalzone Latino; 4--5-5-4-1-1 = 20
- John Kilroy/Nathan Wilmot,Â Samba Pa Ti; 14-1-1--3-2-5 = 25
- Luca Lalli/Lorenzo Bressani,Â B-Lin Sailing.com; 1-8.5-6--6-6-3 = 30.5
- Peter Rogers/Ruairidh Scott,Â Highlife; 7-6-4--7-9-4 = 37Â
- Mauro Mocchegiani/Matteo Ivaldi,Â Rush Diletta; 6-2-13-4-9--9 = 43
- Alessio Marinelli/Riccardo Simoneschi, Audi; 13--12-2-5-5-8 = 45
- Lanfranco Cirillo/Vasco Vascotto,Â Fantastica; -9-2-17-1-3-14 = 46
- Jean Francois Cruette,Â Teasing Machine; -12-16-8-2-7-6 = 51Â
- Edoardo Pavesio/Andrea Felci,Â Fra Martina; 2-14-7-6--12-13 = 54
- Kees Kaan/Bouwe Bekking,Â ROARK; 5-12.5--7-13-13-7 = 57.5